Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Motherhood....

Mother of Pearl series

Unfortunately, I was unable to host this tour during the days leading up to, and including, Mother's Day, because of the time schedule and me being out-of-town. However, I believe it is worth you checking out the 7 authors and their thoughts on Motherhood.  Whether you are a mother or not, this series is designed to celebrate mothering in all forms. Some of today's best writers (Tricia Goyer, Rhonda Shrock, Suzanne Woods Fisher, Bonnie St. John and more), have offered up their talent

Day#1 ~ PRICELESS TREASURES | Cindy K. Stiverson

We've heard it said and often find it true: You don't know the value of a treasure until you're without it. 

We take for granted the things in life that seem so readily available.

   A paperclip or rubber band, to hold things together.
   A tissue or napkin, to wipe our nose to clean our face, to absorb our tears.
   A Bible to speak words of wisdom and instruction and life and love...
  (read the rest of article here)

Day#2 ~ JOY COMES FROM PERSEVERANCE | Sheila Walsh

One of the most important lessons I have learned in my own life is the joy that comes from perseverance. Eugene Peterson, borrowing a phrase from Friedrich Nietzsche, wrote his book  “A Long Obedience in the Same Direction …Discipleship in an Instant Society.” He points to the Psalms as the way believers have always learned to pray what they live and live what they pray but it is not a short journey. It is an intentional commitment to keep walking even when you are worn out.

*If we want to see lasting results in any area of life it’s important to keep walking in that direction.
..(read the rest of article here)

Day#3 ~ SHE'S MY EVERYTHING | Suzanne Woods Fisher

A mother is one who can take the place of all others, but whose place no one else can take.

--Cardinal Mermillod 

Just a few more months. My mother was hoping Dad would hang on long enough so they could celebrate their sixtieth wedding anniversary in April. But on January 1st, as the sun rose on the new year, my dad’s worn out heart beat its last. Dad had battled Alzheimer’s Disease for ten years. As many of you know, AD is a long, hard journey. Hard on the one afflicted with the disease, hard on the caregivers.

But not without its blessings...(read the rest of article here)

Day#4 ~ WHAT I AM NOT | Tricia Goyer

Becoming a mother is a complicated thing. Not only am I trying to negotiate a relationship with my child, I am trying to negotiate a relationship with myself as I attempt to determine how I mother, how I feel about mothering, how I want to mother and how I wish I was mothered.

— Andrea J. Buchanan, in Mother Shock3

Sometimes the easiest way to discover who we are is to know who we are not.
..(read the rest of article here)

Day#5 ~ STEPPING OUT ON FAITH | Bonnie St. John

"Darcy . . .”

“Yeah, Mom?”


I momentarily held the undivided attention of my teenage daughter. Her thumbs, free of their ubiquitous texting keypad, quietly dangled by her side. Her computer and its omnipresent Facebook page were completely out of sight. I had almost forgotten what she looked like without all these adolescent accoutrements. As we sat down together on the burgundy leather sofa in our living room, I realized this fleeting state of electronic dislocation was my chance to hatch a plan I had been formu- lating for the past several weeks. Carpe diem...
(read the rest of article here)

Day#6 ~ HE WILL WALK WITH YOU | Carey Bailey

As a little girl, I loved baby dolls. Loved them! I played school, adoption agency, daycare operator and babysitter all day. I felt like I was born to be a mama. Therefore, I was a bit anxious when the ages, 22, 25, 28 and 32 came and went and there were no babies. Have you ever desired something so much and feared never getting it? That was me.

My day finally came at the age of 34. I soon realized that God knew what He was doing when He had me wait. To my shock, it wasn’t as easy as playing with dolls. I was surprised that it wasn’t the dream world I imagined it would be! I felt like life became a gigantic prayer...
(read the rest of article here)

Day#7 ~ WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW | Rhonda Shrock

I always knew I wanted to be a mother.  As a girl, I played house with my dollies, shushing them when they cried and kissing their plastic heads.

Looking back at that girl, I realize now that there was a lot she didn't know.  This morning over my fresh-ground coffee, this mother of 22-1/2 years scratched out a list of 10 things she didn't know then that she knows now...
(read the rest of article here)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding a Scrap of your Life.